Over the past month or so we have been collecting feedback from our school partners as a part of our mid-year survey process. The Leadership and Management Teams have been reviewing school responses and have plans to share this information back with you, your school leadership, and partnership staff. I wanted to take this opportunity to share celebrate some great successes we’re seeing this school year!
To recap, the survey was sent to all staff at partnership sites with coaches who lead COST and focus on culture and climate efforts. At sites where we don’t have coaches, the survey was sent just to staff who had students receiving a Seneca service. We had over 200 respondents from 18 schools and the average time it took to complete the survey was just over 4 minutes! Even within this short time frame we received a slew of valuable feedback. Here is what we learned:
- 83% of respondents know the process of seeking support when they have a student who needs additional support (compared to 79% of respondent’s last year)
- 78% of respondents get a response from those responsible for coordinating student services when they seek out additional support (compared to 71% of respondent’s last year)
Culture and Climate Goals
- 85% of respondents were aware of the culture and climate goals being addressed at their school (compared to 65% of last year’s respondents) – WOW!
- 91% of respondents found the providers of the intervention to be professional and collaborative - AMAZING!
- 82% found that providers were knowledgeable and skillful in helping them implement classroom interventions to support students receiving their services – Not only are you seen as skillful, but also capable of building the capacity of others!
Student Progress Monitoring
- 73% of respondents reported that progress and outcome reports were shared and used for collaboration during meeting with service providers (compared to 55% of respondents last year) – This one blows me away!!! Sean and your Strand Leads have been specifically focusing on this indicator over the past year, and all of your hard work in this area has paid off!
In addition to these quantitative measures, we received 131 positive comments! It was really great to hear so much positive feedback from partnership staff – even referencing how helpful it is to know their student’s internal working model!!! Here’s a sampling of what was said:
- Love the data informed nature of the meetings, but also the warmth and empathy with which this information is shared
- The services provided to my student are specifically targeted for their needs. I regularly collaborate with the service provider to create common goals, instructional practices, and expectations and to connect the classroom to the services provided. Working with the service provider has always been an easy process.
- Having a weekly time to meet with the Seneca staff who works with my student has been a huge personal emotional support and professional support.
- The two therapists that work with my students have been very good about checking in and sharing strategies in which to best support these students. Knowing the student’s internal working model is extremely helpful in knowing how best to approach them in behavior and academics, and also have more empathy.
- [Our AIS] has great relationships with not only students he works with, but with all students at our school. He has supported teachers in countless ways from formal trainings to informal planning sessions, to suggesting on the spot accommodations for students.
- The Seneca team here is a great model for other staff on consistent language and processes. They lead by example in keeping what is best for each individual student at the forefront of every conversation and decision. They are thoughtful and reflective and set an overall positive and professional tone with both our students and staff.
- Seneca observations of students’ behaviors in the classrooms is very helpful in designing effective intervention plans. Behavior charts and systems and collaboration with grade level team is going well and achieving positive outcomes.
- Seneca is clearly an organization that coaches and develops their personnel. From the admin level to those providing direct services, all personnel have been positive, collaborative and kind. This has had positive effects on our culture and climate. Teachers, students and families are feeling an increased trust in our specialist department.
- My student has received Seneca intervention for multiple years in multiple ways. I can honestly say, without Seneca, my students would not be able to participate in his education. Before and in the beginning of intervention he was not able to spend a full day in class. Now he rarely is asked to leave the class and has received only 2 referrals this year. Everybody I have worked with is highly skilled and professional. I have seen amazing changes in my little one and other students who receive services as well!
- I feel like the issues that my student has been facing (irritability, sleepiness, social conflicts) have been discussed and dealt with immediately. This keeps those issues from escalating and making long-lasting negative impacts on my student and the rest of the class. The team has a positive relationship with my student’s family and is always available as an additional resource to facilitate conversations with home.
- [Our Seneca Occupational Therapist (OT)] is the most amazing support person I’ve ever worked with. She shares little victories students have and provides the resources for us in the classroom and at home. She connects with the students so well and makes OT fun and engaging. I’ve seen so much progress from my students who get support from her. She offers support to students not even on her workload and truly goes above and beyond.
These comments warm my heart and truly make me proud to be a part of this amazing effort. I hope they also bring you a bit of joy! Keep up the great work!
Robin Detterman, Executive Director of School Partnerships