One of our All-In partnerships is with Rocketship Education (RSED), a charter management organization that was founded in 2007 and currently operates 16 schools in 4 regions (Bay Area, Milwaukee, Nashville, and Washington DC - coming soon). While Rocketship has distinguished itself in the sector for innovation in Blended Learning, our connection as organizations is a shared vision and commitment to creating educational equity and inclusion for all students.
The goal of this partnership is to support ROMO’s culture and climate by implementing strategic parts of the Unconditional Education model and a multi-tiered approach to strengthen the school’s social emotional and behavioral services. The staffing design places a Seneca Unconditional Education Coach at ROMO full time (Jennifer Simeone), but unlike other partnership sites with UE Coaches, this position is a hybrid role supporting the school leadership team to implement school-wide social-emotional and behavioral systems and services, as well as holding a caseload of students who need clinical services. This first year of the ROMO partnership plan is to work closely with RSED leadership to implement various supports (noted below), identify the ones that have the greatest impact, and explore ways to scale those services to other RSED schools over time. Due to the fact that ROMO already has several best practice systems in place, including PBIS and social emotional learning curriculum, it was an opportunity for our UE Coach to join the school teams in strengthening interventions and services for the students and school community. Based on the school needs assessment process, additional social emotional and behavioral supports were put into place.
- Serves as a member of the school’s PBIS Team (similar to our Culture and Climate Committee)
- Serves as a member of the school’s RTI Team and participates in Student Huddle Meetings (similar to our COST)
- Supports implementation of Check-In/Check-out system
- Supports the Office Discipline Referral system
- Provides clinical and behavioral consultation services for school staff (regular office hours)
- Supports classroom teachers to implement community circles and SEL lessons
- Facilitates school staff professional development workshops (e.g. Trauma Informed Education)
- Provides individual and family therapeutic services for a caseload of students
- Provides social skills groups for students in need of support
So far, so good - The ROMO students and staff are experiencing the positive impact from Seneca’s Unconditional Education, thanks to great work from our current UE Coach (Jennifer Simeone), support from the Seneca team (Jennifer Uribe and Sara Moses) and fantastic RSED school leaders (notably Genevieve Thomas, VP of Integrated Special Education and Principal Danny Etcheverry). We are in the early stages of planning for next school year, but it looks promising that we will continue the partnership and potentially expand services to include more students and schools. More to come, but please feel free to reach out if you have any questions or comments.
Lilly Green, Director of School Partnerships